The 9th WETPOL will take place from 13-17 September 2021 in the city of Vienna.
WETPOL is an international symposium bringing together wetland scientists, engineers and practitioners working on wetland ecosystem services, including water quality improvement, climate regulation, and flood control. The conference will create a framework for wetland scientists and practitioners to exchange knowledge and advance the overall understanding of these complex ecosystems. The goal is to improve our understanding of the role wetlands perform in processing nutrients and contaminants, and to discuss and demonstrate how restored and constructed wetlands in the future, via their associated ecosystem services, can contribute to ensure sustainable water management and resource recovery while at the same time regulating and mitigating impacts of global climate change.
The conference programme will focus on process-based topics on pollutants dynamics in various types of wetlands including recent advances in the following areas:
- Biogeochemical cycling of carbon and nutrients
- Carbon sequestration and greenhouse gas emissions
- Wetland plants ecophysiology and invasiveness
- Impact of climate change on wetland systems
- The role of wetlands in pollutant management at the catchment scale
- Attenuation of diffuse pollution in wetlands
- Behaviour of priority and emerging pollutants
- Molecular and microbial advances related to pollutant fate, disposal and removal in wetlands
- Advances is modelling for process understanding and design
- Increase process understanding for TW types, e.g. Evaporative willow systems, Sludge treatment wetlands, Intensified wetlands, Microbial electrochemical wetlands resources recovery from wetlands
- Role and functioning of wetlands and other nature-based solutions in urban settings
- Other related topics.
The conference will include one day of field trips to explore unique natural and treatment wetlands. More information will follow soon.
Currently, we plan to organise WETPOL 2021 as “normal” conference with a physical presence. However, based on the current situation due to the pandemic and the thus unpredictable future, our plan B is to hold WETPOL 2021 as a full virtual conference or as a hybrid between both. A final decision about the format will be made 4 months before the actual conference date.
We aim at making the WETPOL2021 conference a certified Green Event. Therefore, the amount of printed materials are minimised, green and healthy meals largely produced locally will be served, and we encourage the use of public transport.